(Title) Follow the Sound (Sections) The Music, The Way I Play, Home Where the Highway Has No End
For background info about "Follow the Sound," see "1st Instalment, March 25, 2026 - How to Watch 'Follow the Sound'"
--------------------
In this instalment -
About song #4 from the "7 Songs" collection, "City Driving"
*****Scroll down to below the Transcript to find the link to the song video "City Driving"*****
--------------------
(Transcript)
Someone commented favorably about me doing this "Follow the Sound" idea. But the way he worded it was that I was using my music "to initiate social change."
But I'm not. What I'm trying do is to put an end to the crime, corruption and injustices going on in the world. I'm not about doing any social change. "Let people be," is the way I feel about it.
Now, I suppose it's possible that if crime, corruption and injustice were eradicated that there would be some sort of social change happen. But those are two different things.
I have no interest in trying to bring about social change. I don't think I'm capable of doing that anyway.
--------------------
About "City Driving"
I was in the process of making up this song on the piano when I was in my first year as a Music major at Cerritos College in Norwalk, California. It didn't have a title yet.
I thought I was a budding great composer and I forced my music theory professor to listen to me play it. He was thoroughly unimpressed. He was quite right, you know.
But still I always liked the song myself anyway.
Like all the songs on this "7 Songs" collection, I made the music before I made the video.
Then in 1991/1992, at Canyon Lake, Texas, one of the pieces of gear Lynn and I had bought was a keyboard called an Ensoniq EPS. With that, I was excited to turn this song into something brand new.
We then had moved away from Canyon Lake in 2007 but moved back again in 2009. Sometime around 2010 or 2011 this was one of the songs I was setting to video. "What kind of video can I make for this music?" I thought.
One part of the song made me think of those old-timey silent movies with 1920's car chases and Keystone Cops. So I thought I would make something to do with driving.
And I wonder ... Can you tell what I was trying to get across at the very end? Let me know!
--------------------
(To watch the song video, click the link below)
Collection number 2, "7 Songs,"
No comments:
Post a Comment