(Title) Follow the Sound (Sections) The Music, The Way I Play, Home Where the Highway Has No End
For background info about "Follow the Sound," see "1st Instalment, March 25, 2026 - How to Watch 'Follow the Sound'"
--------------------
In this instalment -
About song #16 from the "ALAICMI" collection, "Latest Jazziness"
*****Scroll down to below the Transcript to find the link to the song video "Latest Jazziness"*****
--------------------
(Transcript)
About "Latest Jazziness"
I know nothing about how to play jazz. It just seemed to me that this song sounded kind of "jazzy." I had been experimenting with chords and this was the latest thing I had come up with at the time. That's why this song is the "latest."
I know I had been playing this song since at least the summer of 1977. It's a part of my collection "Summer of '77 Keepables." It hasn't changed at all since that time.
In 1981, it was the fourth and last song that I took to the studio, the studio in San Diego. My expectation was that with this as the foundation, I might be able to put some orchestration to this song and make something more elaborate out of it.
But it wasn't a good studio session. I didn't have the same engineer that I had for the previous three songs. And he didn't record me in their big studio, but in a little booth. Nor did he do anything special to achieve a special sound. He just ... recorded me.
Well, I gave up the idea of doing anything else with this song.
But I still kept playing it just the same. And I've come to like it just the way it is. And, if I do say so myself, my 2022 recording of it that I present to you here is better than the recording that was made in the professional recording studio in 1981.
--------------------
(To watch the song video, click the link below)
Collection number 4, "ALAICMI,"
Song number 16 "Latest Jazziness"
No comments:
Post a Comment