(Title) Follow the Sound (Sections) The Music, The Way I Play, Home Where the Highway Has No End
For background info about "Follow the Sound," see "1st Instalment, March 25, 2026 - How to Watch 'Follow the Sound'"
--------------------
In this instalment -
About song #1 from the "ALAICMI" collection, "Norwegian Wood"
*****Scroll down to below the Transcript to find the link to the song video "Norwegian Wood"*****
--------------------
(Transcript)
About "Norwegian Wood"
Words and Music by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
Rendition by me.
I had been playing the rhythm guitar part to the song the way that I play it since practically forever. But the rhythm guitar part is the only part I had ever played before.
When I first started the As Live As I Can Make It Project in November 2020, I don't think I even knew yet that I was going to call it As Live As I Can Make It. Really, for me to undertake recording this song was just an experiment. For audio recording gear I had only the scantest most primitive equipment. Recording digitally was a new thing for me and I didn't have an interface of any kind (an interface is a device for converting analogue signals to digital). So I found out about a cheap one called an Apogee. Now I had a way to input audio and record it with the only digital audio workstation (DAW) I knew about at the time that's called Audacity.
So I got started with this new rendition and added a bass part, lead guitar and 4-part harmony. The audio recording was done a little bit like I had done with the 3rd collection of songs (Captured - The Performance for Posterity), but this time I didn't want to use household implements for drums/percussion. That's when I found out about a drum plugin called RealiDrums. I say it's a plugin, but at the time I didn't know what a plugin was and I was using RealiDrums as a standalone program.
We all know Norwegian Wood as a ballad, almost folkish style song, but I was surprised to find out, when I undertook this song project, that musically this song has so much more going for it. In fact, I was so surprised that when putting all the parts into it, I often laughed. I didn't take my recording of this song seriously. Like I say, it was an experiment; it was a game.
I knew that to put it on some platform like YouTube or Facebook, it would have to be in video form. I didn't have a camera at the time and even the phone I had didn't have a very good camera. And I wasn't even thinking of putting myself in the video anyway. So I decided to use images. And I thought I'd try and avoid copyright problems by using images of the Beatles' Rubber Soul album itself.
All that to say, yes, I know, this song is funky and hokey. But I kind of like it anyway. It's meant to be funny.
And, as it turns out, it now works pretty well as part of the As Live As I Can Make It repertoire that I've been using since and will be using again once my Follow The Sound story project gets to its 3rd section (the section called "Home Where The Highway Has No End").
--------------------
(To watch the song video, click the link below)
Collection number 4, "ALAICMI,"
Song number 1 "Norwegian Wood"
No comments:
Post a Comment